A handheld laser cutter for fabric is a machine that is mostly used to produce materials and textiles, such as cotton, nylon, silk, wool, etc. Laser cutters are designed to cut fabrics without difficulties and ensure that the edges are smooth and fraying during the process.
Can a Laser Cutter Cut Fabric
Industries mostly use a laser cutter for cutting fabrics. So yes, a laser cutter can cut through fabrics. These machines are beneficial and save a lot of time and energy. The device can cut a variety of materials and give it a precise edge. Unlike scissors that need full attention, the laser cutter is automatic and doesn't make mistakes. With a laser cutter, materials like natural fibers and synthetic fibers can be cut and produced with fantastic results.
Materials That Cannot Be Cut by Laser Cutter
Not everything is perfect, the same way that there are materials and fabric that the laser cutter cannot cut.
1. Fabrics made up of artificial leathers.
2. Materials made up of polyvinyl chloride.
3. Substances made up of polyvinyl butyrate.
4. Materials made up of halogens.
5. Materials made up of beryllium oxide.
How to Use a Laser Cutter for Engraving
First, you'd have to determine the type of fabric that you want to work with, because it isn't all materials that the laser cutter can cut through. Then using tape or any item, keep the fabric in place by laying it flat on the bed of the cutter. The laser is a touchless means of engraving, so you don't need to worry about the fabric being shifted.
Then determine the location of the engraving and use markers to emphasize the areas. Make sure you test this on a spare fabric to know how the design will look. When you are done testing it on an extra fabric, do the same on the original material.
Disadvantages of Laser Cutters
1. Laser cutters require high power usage. It uses more electricity than any other technique used for cutting fabrics.
2. The laser beam of a laser cutter is very fragile. If not handled with care and attention while trying to set the temperature, the material can get burnt.
3. The laser beam is hazardous and can get someone burnt when it comes in contact with an individual.
4. Some materials are thick, but the laser cutter can't handle thick materials. This machine can't handle all materials.
Advantages of Laser Cutter
1. Laser cutters are very fast in cutting materials compared to other techniques.
2. The cuts made by the laser cutter is exact than any other method. Most industries that require the precise size of materials always go for this machine.
3. Holding a piece of metal using a laser cutter is much easier than in the mechanical method.
4. The metal in a laser cutter doesn't come in contact with other metals to enhance the cut. Therefore the metal is precisely cut.
5. In the mechanical method where heat is used to cut materials, the edge of the metal becomes blunt. But a laser cutter gives you an excellent edge material cutting.
6. Excellent product appearance.
Why Are They Used for Materials
1. Laser cutters are used for cutting materials because the heat they produce isn't very much, thereby reducing the risk of deforming or burning the matter. And the fabric is always in place.
2. Cuts obtained by laser cutters are very accurate, unlike the traditional scissors.
3. While cutting material in a mechanical method requires a lot of scissors, to cut a lot of stuff doesn't require a lot of machines.
4. Laser cutters can duplicate an exact design of the material.
Safety Precautions While Using Laser Cutter
1. Never leave the machine unattended.
2. Always keep the area around the cutter neat and free from dirt and debris.
3. Avoid bringing flammable materials that are not supposed to be near the cutter.
4. Always have a fire extinguisher near the work area.
5. Keep the interior part of the laser cutter free from dirt.
6. Avoid getting the lesser cutter in your eye because it can damage it.
7. Try adjusting the laser's focus by switching the machine's settings to manual and changing the laser's attention if it's not in place.
8. Avoid cutting materials that are too thick.
9. Do not remove content from the cutting bed before it is cooled.
10. Always keep the manufacturer's handbook when operating the machine.
Use these tips and guidelines for your handheld laser cutter for fabrics.
You may also read...